Salmon River State Forest
Salmon River State Forest
Route 16
Colchester, CT
Tel: (860) 424-3200
(866) 287-2757
Email: deep.stateparks@ct.gov
Fax: (860) 424-4070

Hours: The forest recreation areas are open from 8 am to sunset. Other forest areas are open one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

Pets: Pets on a leash are permitted in picnic areas and on hiking trails.

Directions:

From the Norwich area: take Route 2 west, Exit 18. Follow Route 16 west for 6.2 miles; turn left into the recreation area.
From the New London area: follow Route 11 north onto Route 2 west, Exit 18. Follow Route 16 west for 6.2 miles. Turn left into the recreation area.
From the Middletown area: follow Route 66 east onto Route 16. Follow Route 16 east for 5.5 miles. Turn right into recreation area.
From the Hartford area: take Route 2 east, Exit 16. Follow Route 149 south for 3.2 miles. Turn right onto Route 16 west. Follow Route 16 west for 1.9 miles. Turn left into the recreation area.

Fees: There are no parking fees at Salmon River State Forest.

Overview:

The first purchase of lands which comprise the Salmon River Forest was made by the State Board of Fisheries and Game in 1934. The Forest now contains nearly 6,000 acres located in the towns of Hebron, Marlborough Colchester, East Haddam, and East Hampton. Included in the forest area is 1,300 acres that are leased from the United States Government.
The important tributaries of the Salmon River are the Dickenson Stream, Blackledge River, Jeremy River, and Fawn Brook, all of which enter the main river above Comstock Bridge. The Salmon River joins the Connecticut River a short distance from East Haddam. It is probably the largest stream and watershed whose sources and mouth are entirely within the limits of the State.
One of the early and notable settlers in this area was John Carrier who was reputed to be the executioner of Charles the First and who fled England when the monarchy was restored. His family name still exists on the land records of the area.
The towns in this area were settled during the early part of 1700 and were typical of the early New England settlements. Streams and ponds were dammed to furnish waterpower for grist mills, tanneries, and later paper mills.
The Salmon River and its tributaries each had more mills trying to operate by the middle of the nineteenth century than the water supply could support during periods of minimal precipitation. At North Westchester, for example, during low periods the grist mills had to operate at night and the paper mill by the day.
The easy accessibility of the Salmon River and its tributaries has made the forest a very popular fishing area.
Comments: 0
Votes:6